Monday, September 8, 2008

Broad bean and white wine risotto

Hello everyone, I am running very late with my blog this week as my computer and I had a dispute on Friday afternoon. Needless to say the computer won and sulked all weekend, presenting me with a black screen that refused to light up with all the usual features and the photo of dashing Adam Gilchrist which forms the centrepiece of my screen. Thankfully gizmo.com.au came to the rescue yesterday afternoon so I'm back in business.

I love broad beans. Have I mentioned that before? I'm not a lover of most green beans, but there is something about broad beans, which is partly about the shelling of them, partly about their beautiful colour and partly about their texture. They are very seasonal, so now whenever I see a recipe using broad beans I mark it and as soon as I see them at the greengrocers I buy some and choose the recipe to try. This is one I cooked during the week. I substituted verjuice for the wine as I no longer drink white wine, and it was sensational. It is another recipe from my other favourite recipe writer, Matthew Evans.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx

Broad bean and white wine risotto

Serves four

What you need:

  • 30g butter
  • 1 medium leek, pale part only,washed and chopped finely
  • 400g risotto rice
  • 400g double peeled broad beans (pod them first, then quickly blanch in boiling water, cool in cold water, then slip off the pale, coarse skin)
  • 500ml white wine or verjuice
  • About 1 litre of good stock (if not available use boiling water)
  • About 50g good Parmesan cheese, finely grated

What you do:
  1. Heat the butter in a large pan and fry the leek well to soften.
  2. Add the rice and continue to fry over a gentle heat until it starts to stick slightly (don't allow the rice to brown).
  3. Add half the broad beans and the wine/verjuice.
  4. Turn up the heat and stir constantly as the wine/verjuice evaporates.
  5. Keep adding stock as needed, until all of the stock is absorbed and the rice looks creamy.
  6. Add the remaining beans and half the cheese.
  7. Turn off the heat and allow to sit for a few minutes.
  8. Serve with the remaining cheese sprinkled over the top.