This week's recipe is a hint of the cool evenings that must be going to reach us eventually, although I don't mind summer playing out as long as possible. It comes from the Autumn/Winter edition of SOS and is heaven.
Have a happy week. Love from Jane xxx
Croutons of fried apple and goats cheese
What you need:
- 250g butter
- 6 fresh and crisp red apples, cored and sliced
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 loaf of country style bread
- About 500g mature goats cheese, sliced
What you do:
- Melt half the butter in a large pan.
- Toss the apple slices in the butter and cook gently for about 15 minutes, turning until tender and a little caramelised.
- Season with salt and pepper, then transfer to a dish and keep warm.
- Cut 8 slices of bread.
- Fry the bread slices in the remaining melted butter until golden on both sides.
- Pile the slices of apple on to the croutons and top with the slices of cheese.
- Serve immediately with a green salad.