This week's recipe is a sweet treat which caught my eye every time I saw it in my scrapbook of cut out recipes. It's exactly like cherry ripe and so easy to make - a nice treat. Do be very careful with the food colouring - I was a little careless and my cherry slice was very brightly coloured!
Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx
What you need:
- 600g dark cooking chocolate, chopped
- 500g desiccated coconut (buy a good quality one, not the no name version, as you want a nice, moist coconut)
- 100g copha, melted
- 395g can condensed milk
- 150g glace cherries, very finely chopped
- A few drops of pink food colouring
What you do:
- Prepare a 30cm x 20cm cake tin by lining with foil.
- Melt half the chocolate and spread evenly over the foil lined tin.
- Rest, covered, in the fridge, until set.
- Place coconut, melted copha, condensed milk and cherries in a large bowl and stir together to mix. There will be a moment when you think there is far too much coconut and it will never combine, but it does.
- Very carefully add a few drops of food colouring and stir through (do it drop by drop).
- Spoon the coconut mixture over the chocolate base and use the back of a spoon to press evenly.
- Refrigerate until set.
- Melt the remaining chocolate and spread evenly over the coconut mix.
- Return to the fridge until set.
- Cut into bars with a warm knife. Store in an airtight container in the fridge.