Saturday, June 19, 2010

Gnocchi with gorgonzola, spinach and walnuts

Hello everyone, I had such a piece of luck today. About six months ago I was out shopping with my friend Anne in Lane Cove and we spent some time in a small local art and craft gallery. A gorgeous brood of crackled pottery hens had just arrived and I was enormously tempted to buy them. I resisted at the time, although I really loved them, as there was something about the chickens that made me keep picking them up and stroking them. Today we went in there again and guess what, there were two chickens left, sitting on a shelf as if they were waiting for me! Of course I snapped them up straight away this time and they are now happily adorning my home.

This week's recipe is one of my favourite combinations of ingredients. It's a recipe from Good Living from a few years back, a good one for winter. It's definitely time for me to cook it again as I happen to have all of the necessary ingredients laid in, to be used in a couple of other dishes.

Have a lovely week! Love from Jane xx

Gnocchi with gorgonzola, spinach and walnuts

Serves four

What you need:
  • 500g good quality gnocchi
  • 100ml chicken stock
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 100g gorgonzola, crumbled
  • 75g baby spinach
  • Freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1/3 cup fresh walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
  • Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley, to serve (which is code for optional)

What you do:

  1. Cook the gnocchi in a large saucepan of boiling water until tender. Drain well.
  2. Place the chicken stock and butter in a large pan over a medium-high heat.
  3. Stir the stock until the butter has melted, then simmer for 2-3 minutes or until reduced by half.
  4. Add the gorgonzola and stir until the cheese has just melted.
  5. Toss the gnocchi with the gorgonzola sauce and baby spinach, and season with pepper.
  6. Serve sprinkled with the walnuts and parsley if using.