Sunday, February 24, 2008

Ricotta and spinach pasta shells

Hello everyone, it's very late for me to be blogging - nearly 10.00 on Sunday night! Way past my bedtime. I have to front up for jury duty tomorrow so I will need to be at my best. I am desperately hoping to be excused as I have been called for a six week case! Six weeks away from work would make my life impossible. Anyway, I will just have to have a good night's sleep and see what happens.

This week's recipe is something that I cooked recently when there a few hungry young boys around and they all loved it! I was besieged with requests for the recipe, so I figured it might be something that would be useful to my blog readers. It is so simple you could make it with your eyes closed (unless you actually do go the big shells, so you'll need to have your eyes open to fill them very carefully). You really do need to cook the pasta in the stock as outlined in the recipe, otherwise you'll find it gets a little dry. See, I have made all the mistakes first to save you doing the same!

Have a great week. Think about me dispensing justice.

Jane xx

Ricotta and spinach pasta shells

Serves four

What you need:
· 24 (200g) large pasta shells (or you can use little shells)
· 500g frozen spinach
· 250g ricotta
· 375ml (1 ½ cups) tomato pasta sauce
· 250ml chicken stock

What you do:

1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of boiling water for three minutes and drain.
3. Thaw the spinach and squeeze out all the excess water.
4. Combine the spinach and ricotta.
5. Spoon the ricotta mixture into the pasta shells (or if you are using small shells just mix it all together).
6. Combine the sauce and stock in a baking dish.
7. Place the shells in the sauce.
8. Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes or until the pasta is tender.