Sunday, March 2, 2008

Roasted potato with chunky macadamia and feta sauce


Hello everyone, I was vastly relieved to be discharged from jury duty this week, particularly when I saw the sandwiches that are served. Actually, to be honest, they weren't quite as bad as I had imagined as you could identify some of the fillings, and fresh fruit was also provided. But the six week case for which I had initially been called somehow became a twelve week case, so it's a good thing I was in the group that was sent home.


One of my most favourite recipe writers is Belinda Jeffery. I have all three of her cook books and have been to a great cooking class she did last year. Last night I made this roasted potato salad, which is a slightly modified version of a recipe she wrote in the September 2007 edition of delicious magazine. Belinda did hers with kumara, but I substituted potato as I adore potato and will eat it any which way. I was lucky enough to grow up in a household with a Mum that cooked beautiful dinners for us every night and she had a million ways with potatoes. It must be the Irish in us.


Have a lovely week! Love from Jane x


Roasted potato with chunky macadamia and feta sauce

Serves 8 as a side dish


What you need:


  • About 2.4 kg potatos (Desiree are great for roasting), cut into chunks

  • 200ml olive oil, plus extra for coating (I have to say that I usually halve the quantity of oil given in recipes and I did for this one too. It's up to you.)

  • 1/2 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley, plus small extra leaves to garnish

  • 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped

  • 1 cup (150g) macadamias (either salted or unsalted, again up to your taste)

  • 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (or ordinary, whatever you have to hand)

  • 100g feta, crumbled

  • 1 -2 tablespoons lemon juice

What you do:


  1. Preheat the oven to 220C.

  2. Line 1-2 large baking trays with foil, then baking paper.

  3. Just before you put the potato in the oven, toast the macadamias gently, either in the oven or under the grill. Do what I do and roast the whole packet, then you have lovely toasted nuts to eat with yoghurt or on porridge or cereal. Store them in the fridge.

  4. Place the potato on the baking trays in a single layer and drizzle with extra oil. Toss to coat.

  5. Roast the potato for about 45 to 50 minutes, turning once or twice if you think of it, until the potatoes look golden and crispy around the edges.

  6. Meanwhile, pulse the parsley, garlic, macadamias and paprika in a food processor or a Bamix if you are doing a small quantity, to make a coarse paste.

  7. Add the feta and olive oil and mix again for about 15 seconds.

  8. Stir in the lemon juice and adjust to your taste.

  9. Place the cooked potato chunks in a bowl and pour over the sauce. You can garnish with the extra sprigs of parsley if you are keen to impress!