Sunday, March 9, 2008

Chocolate bread and butter pudding


Hello everyone, isn't it nice to have that little bit of autumnal crispness in the air, while still enjoying lovely warm sunny days? You know that Easter must be around the corner when the weather is like this and I have the perfect dessert for you to cook for Easter feasts - an indulgent and totally delicious chocolate bread and butter pudding. Speaking of chocolate, I think there is a conspiracy among health professionals to break the spirit of chocolate addicts like me. Last year I mentioned to my GP that I thought my chocolate consumption was just slightly out of control and she threatened me with all sorts of behaviour modification techniques. Fortunately a friend gave me a tip that craving chocolate can be a sign of a magnesium deficiency. So I have been popping magnesium capsules this year and I must say it has made a huge difference. However, yesterday I was discussing this treatment in a health food shop and the nutritionist to whom I was speaking told me very firmly that "Of course, willpower has a big part to play in overcoming your chocolate habit." These people obviously just don't get it.

So,whatever health professionals think about the delights or evils of chocolate, this dish is a Bill Granger recipe from an April 2003 delicious magazine. I have cooked this pudding many times and it always disappears rapidly. It is super easy to make - you can prepare it in five minutes and then bake it while enjoying the main meal. I've heard that any leftovers of this pudding make a great breakfast the next morning. Not that I can speak from personal experience on that one.

My photos of this dish aren't great (clearly my skills only lie in limited areas), but you will get the idea.

Have a happy week! Love from Jane xx

Chocolate bread and butter pudding

Serves 8

What you need:

· 3 eggs
· 375ml/1 ½ cups thin cream
· 375ml/1 ½ cups milk
· 110g/ ½ cup caster sugar
· 2 tsp vanilla extract
· 6 butter croissants
· 200g chocolate, roughly chopped (Lindt milk chocolate is very good)

What you do:
1. Preheat the oven to 160C.
2. Place eggs, cream, milk, sugar and vanilla in a bowl and whisk to combine.
3. Cut the croissants into small pieces and arrange half the pieces in an ovenproof baking dish.
4. Scatter the croissants with chocolate and top with the remaining croissants.
5. Pour the custard over the croissants and set aside for 15 minutes to soak, pressing down occasionally so that croissants soak.
6. Bake in an oven for 30 to 40 minutes or until the custard is set and the top is puffed and golden.

Serve with cream and/or icecream if you want to be super indulgent.