Friday, December 5, 2008

Buttered spinach with pine nuts and sultanas

Hello everyone, I am having a lovely annual leave day today. I am going to be apartment- and cat-sitting in the inner city for the next five nights, so thought it would help to have the day at home today to all my housework so I can then enjoy my weekend kind of away. I must say it was a great relief waking up and knowing I didn't have to go to work - it's so ridiculously busy right now!

I'm happy with the timing of my weekend away as it's the weekend that the Growers Markets are on down at Pyrmont and I'll be within walking distance, so I can stock up on all sorts of lovely goodies there. I'll also be close to the fish markets, so can have a wander down there as well.

This week's recipe is one of those great little vegetable ones that you can cook up and serve with roast meat, lamb chops, tossed through pasta, on top of a pizza or even just by itself. It's very good with gnocchi. The way you use it will determine how many servings you get from it. It is quite luscious and every time I cook it I wonder why I don't make it more often. I hope you like it too.

Have a great week, love from Jane xx

Buttered spinach with pine nuts and sultanas

Blanch 400g of spinach in boiling water for 2 minutes (you know that frozen spinach is perfectly fine). Drain the spinach and while still hot, press as much water as you can out of the spinach, through the sieve.

Transfer the spinach to a warm mixing bowl. Add 80g of butter in pieces, 50g grated parmesan, 3 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts, 2 tablespoons of sultanas and salt and pepper to taste.

Mix well - the butter and cheese will melt in the heat of the spinach and the warmth of the bowl.