Saturday, December 20, 2008

Lamb cutlets with mint pesto

Hello everyone, well here we are the week before Christmas and I am going to be up to my elbows in chocolate today as I am making various chocolate slices, sauces and ice-creams (yes, last week's Christmas bombe) to take to parties and to give as gifts to people. I am actually dangerously close to never wanting to see chocolate again I am using so much of it but I'm sure that will pass.

This week's recipe is prompted by a discussion with my sister this morning about the menu for Christmas day. To my delight we are all having all my favourite things on the BBQ, including lamb cutlets. Not this recipe, but one that has been around in the family for years. This one is a great summertime lamb recipe and you do the cutlets on the BBQ. The pesto is made with mint which is really refreshing. I often do these when I have people over, they are a great one for a group. Having said that, I am not a fan at all of serving lamb cutlets as finger food as there is just no way you can eat them gracefully and I always decline them regretfully in that situation, but who wants lamb and pesto all over their face at a party? So serve them when guests have plates and cutlery, OK?

Have a very happy Christmas, eat well and enjoy the festivities in whatever form they take place. Love from Jane xxx

Lamb cutlets with mint pesto

What you need:
  • 20 lamb cutlets
  • Sea salt and freshly ground pepper

Pesto
  • 2 bunches mint
  • 1/2 bunch flat leaf parsley
  • 1 tablespoon pine nuts
  • 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 100ml extra virgin olive oil

What you do:
  1. Remove the bulky stems from the herbs.
  2. Lightly toast the pine nuts in a preheated 200C oven, taking care to not let them burn.
  3. In a food processor blend the herbs with the nuts, parmesan and lemon juice and, with the motor running, slowly add the oil. Season to taste.
  4. Season both sides of the cutlets and grill on a BBQ for a few minutes on each side, to the way you like them.
  5. Rest the cutlets for a few minutes, then arrange on a platter, drizzle with pesto and serve.