Saturday, February 28, 2009

Date, gorgonzola and prosciutto tart

Hello everyone, I am very disappointed with myself because I just realised that only four days into Lent I have already failed! I have given up chocolate (and alcohol) for Lent but as I write this am sitting here eating a slice of (very delicious) chocolate cake!

You see, I drive past a shop called Kiss Me Cake every day and have been intrigued by it and desperate to get in there (although knowing once I do, if they are any good it won't be the last). Being the keen chocolate cake baker that I am it's important that I keep up my research on other people's baking, so I decided to pop in there today and see if anything appealed. Well of course, everything did, their cakes look and sound amazing. So I bought a slice of a milk chocolate and caramel cake and it really is delicious. Tastes home made. I will have to extend Lent by one day now to make up for this slip!

Today's recipe is another one of those things that has all my favourite ingredients in it, although I'm not overly fond of dates so I'm pretty sparing with them in this. It is very easy to put together and a bit unusual, so great for sharing with friends. It's from the 2006 delicious calendar.

Have a lovely week. Love from Jane xx

Date, gorgonzola and prosciutto tart
Serves four

What you need:
  • 1 frozen puff pastry sheet, thawed
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 4-5 thin slices of prosciutto
  • 2/3 cup pitted dates, roughly chopped
  • 100g gorgonzola, crumbled
  • 1 cup picked watercress leaves
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil

What you do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
  2. Place pastry on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
  3. Fold in the edges of the pastry to form a 1cm border, then prick the base with a fork and chill in the fridge for 15 minutes.
  4. While the pastry is chilling, lay the slices of prosciutto on another baking tray and crisp in the oven for 5 minutes.
  5. Brush the pastry with the beaten egg and bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
  6. Cover the pastry with another baking tray to flatten and bake for a further 5 minutes.
  7. Lay the crisped prosciutto over the tart and scatter with dates and cheese.
  8. Return to the oven for 3 minutes or until the cheese starts to melt.
  9. To serve, scatter the tart with the watercress leaves and drizzle with olive oil and lemon juice, and slice.