Saturday, March 7, 2009

Flourless peach cake

Hello everyone, this was one of those weeks when once again I was reflecting on sandwiches and puzzling yet again over why it's so hard to get good ones. This was prompted by the fact that for three days in a row I happened to have lunch provided in an office in the city (different ones each day) and the sandwiches varied in quality (and none were to die for). I guess the fact that they are done in bulk doesn't help, plus they are probably made some time in advance of being served so inevitably start to sag. I'm also intrigued at some of the combinations of fillings you see. Not all of which I find appealing! Happily today I can go and have the perfect sandwich made up freshly for me at my favourite cafe, accompanied by a beautiful cup of hot chocolate. Thank goodness there are some places that know how to get the basics right!

Today's recipe is for a wonderful cake that I baked recently and brought into the office to share. It is so moist you won't believe it and it went down really, really well, in fact I'd say it's the most popular one so far - the boys in particular really went for it. It's yet another from my favourite Epicure Chocolate book. It doesn't have an icing so I just served it with some thick cream.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx

Flourless peach cake

What you need:
  • 225g ground almonds
  • 225g brown sugar
  • 6 tablespoons really good quality Dutched cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
  • 1/2 cup milk soured with the juice of one lemon
  • 2 eggs
  • One handful of chopped dried peach

What you do:
  1. Preheat the oven to 175C.
  2. Grease and line a 20cm round baking tin with baking paper.
  3. Mix the dry ingredients together.
  4. Add the milk and eggs to the dry ingredients and mix well to combine.
  5. Stir in the chopped peach.
  6. Pour the batter into the tin and bake for 45 minutes.
  7. Cool in the tin and turn out very, very carefully, then use a second cake rack to flip over so it's the right way around. Because this cake is so moist it's liable to break very easily so be as gentle and careful as you can!