Saturday, October 24, 2009

Oat and chocolate slice

Hello everyone, I'd love to say that my failure to post any recipes for the last couple of weeks was because I was out watching endless sessions of Julie and Julia, but it was actually because my computer was away being fixed. Again. Hopefully for the last time. At the same time my washing machine died. Happily I now have a new washing machine, but I think it's very sneaky that while there is a lot of talk about how good front loaders are for the environment, NO-ONE mentions that they take smaller loads and each cycle takes nearly two hours!! That's a well kept secret. I guess one advantage on a warm day is that as I take out each load the last lot is dry and ready to come in again!

This week's recipe is a very easy slice that I found in my Panasonic cookbook that came with my microwave when I bought it about 15 years ago. I have adapted it from the original muesli recipe as I always have buckets of oats in the pantry, and I finish it in the oven as I don't really believe you can substitute the microwave for the baking step. You can add different things that you have to hand to the slice as well, such as nuts and as I have done, chocolate chips.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx

Oat and chocolate slice

What you need:
  • 125g butter
  • 1 cup brown sugar (you could halve this quantity if it frightens you)
  • 3 tablespoons honey
  • 2 cups oatmeal (or natural muesli if you have it)
  • 1 cup coconut
  • 1/2 cup sultanas
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips

What you do:
  1. Combine the butter, sugar and honey in a microwave proof dish and cook on high for a minute, stir, then cook for another minute on high.
  2. Add the oats/muesli, coconut, sultanas and chocolate chips and mix well.
  3. Press firmly into a baking tray.
  4. Bake at 200C for about 10 minutes, or until golden.
  5. Allow to cool then slice into squares.