Sunday, November 1, 2009

Chicken Koftas

Hello everyone, earlier this morning I was listening to a segment on Simon Marnie's program in which he had three food bloggers in talking about their experiences with the Sydney International Food Fair which has just concluded. I didn't go to anything this year, largely because I just didn't have the time or the energy to plan anything, but listening to these three definitely fired me up to immerse in it next year. I think for me there was an element of "overwhelmia" as there were so many events. It sounds like they were a lot of fun and those who went learned a lot too, so it is definitely in my diary for next year.


Also this morning I made the lemon curd ice-cream in this month's edition of delicious. It looks beautiful - a gorgeous delicate creamy yellow. I can't wait to try it!

And just as it is ice-cream weather, so too I have been firing up the barbecue and cooking all sorts of things. Just recently I made these chicken koftas which were really lovely. They are the easiest thing in the world to make and can be served with all sorts of accompaniments - whatever you have to hand. The recipe comes from my fabulous Backyard Barbecue Cookbook - one of the best cook books I have ever been given. I have been cooking from it regularly for ten years now and there are still heaps of recipes to try! I hope you like this one.


Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx


Chicken Koftas


Serves eight (or maybe four, depending on how hungry everone is)


(If you use wooden skewers, soak them in water for about an hour before using so that they don't burn).


What you need:

  • 500g minced chicken
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 tablespoon chopped fresh coriander or mint, whichever you prefer
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup cornflakes, crushed
  • 2 teaspoons chilli sauce

What you do:

  1. Mix all of the ingredients together and form into eight long koftas on flat metal or bamboo skewers.
  2. Place on a rack on a heated barbecue.
  3. Cook for about eight minutes, turning regularly to avoid charring, until golden brown and cooked through.
  4. Serve with bread rolls, salad and a good tomato sauce (or any other nice sauces you might have to hand).