Saturday, February 20, 2010

Sticky soy and maple pork burgers

Hello everyone, I'm finding that being in the city for work now and so close to a handful of cafes that make good hot chocolate I'm having one nearly every day! It's a little out of control. But I keep telling myself good for my bones. I have most recently concentrated my attention on Adora in the arcade next to the Sofitel Wentworth. They do great hot chocolate and you get to choose a chocolate from their display every time! Now I have to say they are not my favourite chocolates, that honour definitely lies evenly split between Just William and Belle Fleur, but I'm not going to turn down the offer. During the week I happened to try the caramel and it was BEAUTIFUL! It was a really luscious burnt caramel flavour. I think I might have to intervene before this becomes a habit!

This week's recipe comes from the September 2009 issue of delicious magazine. It is a great summertime dish and really easy to put together. I love the flavour of maple syrup; make sure you use a proper Canadian one, not some nasty synthetic! You should be able to find a good maple syrup fairly easily if you check the labels.

Have a happy week! Love from Jane xx

Sticky soy and maple burgers

Serves four

What you need:
  • 500g lean pork mince
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped peanuts
  • 6 spring onions, finely chopped (or I often swap chives for onions for this sort of use)
  • A small piece of fresh ginger, finely grated
  • Grated zest of one lemon
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon maple syrup (or honey)
  • A pinch of dried chilli flakes
  • 2 tablespoons finely chopped coriander (or mint) leaves
  • 1 tablespoon of a light olive or vegetable oil, plus extra to brush
  • 4 fresh bread rolls
  • To serve: sweet chilli sauce, sour cream, shredded lettuce, sliced radishes

What you do:

  1. Mix together in a large bowl the mince, peanuts, onions, ginger, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon of the soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of the maple syrup, chilli flakes and coriander or mint.
  2. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. Shape into 4 patties, cover and chill for 30 minutes.
  4. Preheat the oven to 200C and line a tray with baking paper, or preheat a BBQ.
  5. Heat a fry pan over medium high heat and brush with a little oil.
  6. Cook the patties for a couple of minutes on either side until golden brown OR cook the patties on the BBQ until cooked through.
  7. (If you are using the oven) Transfer the patties to the baking tray and bake in the oven for a further 8-10 minutes, until cooked through.
  8. While the patties are cooking, split and toast the bread rolls.
  9. Mix the oil with the remaining soy sauce and maple syrup and then brush over the cooked patties.
  10. To serve, sandwich the patties in the rolls and serve with the accompaniments you have lined up.