Saturday, February 27, 2010

Patatas Bravas

I love potatoes. Have I ever mentioned that? I think they are one of my favourite foods, right up there with chocolate. I find myself indecently excited whenever potatoes are on the menu, and it takes all my willpower to not shout "Let's choose the potato dish" when out with friends and selecting a side to share. This week's recipe is a really yummy potato dish from one of my favourite recipe writers, Matthew Evans, from his book Weekend Fare. I could eat kilos of it (but I know where the kilos would come to rest).

Have a good week, love from Jane xx

Patatas Bravas

Serves 5-6 as as side dish

What you need:
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 2 teaspoons of a good vinegar - a Spanish sherry vinegar is ideal
  • 1 clove of garlic, crushed
  • 125 ml extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon tomato puree
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste (or ordinary pepper)
  • 1/3 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon paprika, preferably smoky Spanish paprika
  • 1 kg good frying potatoes, washed well
  • Olive oil for frying

What you do:

  1. Beat the egg yolk, sherry and garlic, drizzling in the olive oil in a stream as you whisk, in the same way as you would make a mayonnaise (if you do indeed make your own mayonnaise).
  2. Whisk in the tomato puree, pepper, salt and paprika and check the flavour. This sauce should be reasonably bold tasting.
  3. Cut the potatoes into roughly 2-3 cm dice and fry in plenty of olive oil until cooked through and lightly browned.
  4. Remove the potatoes from the pan and drain on a couple of paper towels.
  5. Serve the potatoes warm with the sauce either on top, or served on the side as a dipping sauce.