Saturday, March 6, 2010

Roman summer skewers

Hello everyone, I just had my regular visit from our local Jehovah's Witnesses. I know that many people don't like having these people turn up on their doorstep, bible in hand, but I must say I don't mind it at all and in fact really enjoy the couple of minutes they spend with me. I'd much rather the JWs than those annoying sales representatives flogging pay TV! (Who always reel in shock when I admit that actually I rarely turn on the set...) Anyway, in the eleven years that I have been living here I have been visited by various representatives of the JWs and they are always very lovely, gentle people who aren't afraid of talking about their faith. Usually they give me a couple of their magazines and read me a line or two from the bible and we have a bit of general chit-chat. Currently it is a teenager called Imogen who calls by with her Mum and today her little sister Ruby as well. They are such nice people and I feel blessed to have a minute with them.

But you are here for my recipe, not my musings on who arrives at the doorstep! This week's recipe is another great party one that I have tried out. I found it in Good Living in a feature from a book that had been published recently called Party: The Complete Guide To Food And Drinks. This one is soooooo simple but very effective. Try it next time you are asked to bring a dish to a party and you'll see what I mean!

Have a lovely week. Jane xx

Roman Summer Skewers

Makes 20

What you need:
  • 20 cherry bocconcini
  • 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon pesto (Even better if you make it yourself; check my recipe in November 2008)
  • 40 small fresh basil leaves
  • 20 cherry tomatoes
  • 20 pitted black olives
  • 20 cocktail sticks (supermarket)

What you do:

  1. Drain the bocconcini and place in a bowl with the olive oil and pesto.
  2. Stir until coated, cover and leave to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
  3. Thread the bocconcini, a tomato, two basil leaves and an olive on to each stick.
  4. Arrange on a platter and serve.

That's it!