This week's recipe is absolutely luscious. It comes from the book "Growers Market" by the appropriately named Leanne Kitchen. I made it last Sunday afternoon when it was cold and miserable outside. It took no time at all to slice the different components, layer them in a deep baking dish and whack into the oven, and I was rewarded with a beautiful bake later that night. The apple in the dish gives it a lovely sweetness; it would go really with roast pork or pork chops.
Have a wonderful week, love from Jane xx
Layered potato and apple bake
What you need:
- 3 large potatoes
- 3 green apples
- 1 onion
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese (or if you had some other cheese in the fridge that melts well you could substitute)
- 1 cup thin cream (or thick cream if that is what you have in the fridge)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 180.
- Grease a large shallow baking dish.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
- Peel the potatoes and slice thinly.
- Peel, halve and core the apples and slice thinly. (If you are not super quick at peeling and slicing, just drop the slices of potato and apple into a bowl of cold water and a little lemon juice as you work, to prevent them browning; drain and pat dry with paper towels before using).
- Layer the potatoes, apple and onions in the baking dish, finishing with a layer of potatoes.
- Sprinkle evenly with the cheese and then pour over the cream.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg and black pepper to taste.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden brown (make sure the potatoes are cooked through when pierced with a knife).
- Remove from the oven and stand for five minutes before serving.