Saturday, June 14, 2008

Tomato soup with tortellini

Hello everyone, as I said I would in last week's blog, I did lots of lovely cooking over the long weekend. I made a chocolate mousse on request for my niece for her birthday cake, and also tried out a recipe I mentioned some time ago for a pear and chocolate crumble. I thought the crumble was average, so will play around with the recipe to see if I can make it more to my liking.

I was given some beautiful finger limes before the weekend, so made a few winter salads using the lime juice in the dressing and they were beautiful! Such a great flavour. Good to know I have a lime supplier sitting just four desks away from me at work.

I also made this beautiful tomato soup, which features in the May edition of delicious magazine. My favourite section in the magazine is a feature called Tuesday Night Cooking. It always has really quick and easy yummy recipes in it. I actually had quite low expectations of this soup as it's so simple, there is nothing to it. I was happy to find that the flavour was stunning and I enjoyed it all through the week for lunch as well.

Have a fantastic week, love from Jane xx

Tomato soup with tortellini

Serves four

What you need:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • 6 sundried tomatoes, drained and chopped
  • 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
  • 300ml vegetable stock
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/2 teaspoon caster sugar
  • 400g cheese and spinach tortellini

What you do:
  1. Heat oil in a large pan over medium heat.
  2. Cook garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant.
  3. Add all of the tomatoes, stock and bay leaf.
  4. Bring to a boil, then simmer over a medium-low heat for 15 minutes until thickened.
  5. Cool slightly then blend until smooth.
  6. When ready to serve, cook the tortellini in boiling water until cooked. Drain and place in bowls.
  7. Heat the soup through and season with sugar, salt and pepper.
  8. Ladle soup over tortellini and serve.

As an alternative to the tortellini, when you heat up the soup you can have some coucous sitting in the serving bowls. When you pour over the hot soup it will quickly cook the couscous and your soup will thicken up.