Saturday, October 25, 2008

Mixed cress, zucchini and raw salmon salad

Hello everyone, last night I made this divine salad for dinner. I adore sashimi, so when I saw this recipe that uses it I just had to try it. It is from my Spring/Summer SOS book. It is light and summery, and best of all, you can whip it up in just a few minutes. Mind you, I was making some rocky road at the same time as I was making the salad, so made sure I was really concentrating when it came time to tip the sliced salmon into one of the bowls I was using! It shouldn't be difficult to find the sashimi - I bought mine from a suburban fish shop - but make sure you use sashimi quality salmon that is ultra-fresh. The fishmonger cut it fresh for me and it was beautiful.

Have a lovely week, love from Jane xxx

Mixed cress, zucchini and raw salmon salad
(Serves four as an entree or two as a main)

What you need:
  • Four handfuls of mixed leaves, preferably a mix of watercress, curly cress and lamb's lettuce (you can usually buy these sorts of leaves at farmers markets; if you are relying on your local greengrocer then just use a mix of what you can find)
  • 2 trimmed zucchini
  • 500g sashimi quality salmon
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons mirin
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons soy sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon of any light oil you have to hand
  • Juice of a quarter of a lime
  • 2 tablespoons chopped chives

What you do:
  1. Place the leaves in a serving bowl.
  2. Using a vegetable peeler, slice thin strips from the zucchini and add to the leaves.
  3. Thinly slice the salmon and add to the leaves.
  4. Combine the remaining ingredients and mix well.
  5. Pour the dressing over the salad, toss gently and serve immediately.