Saturday, October 4, 2008

Spanish Omelette

Hello everyone, those of us living in NSW are lucky enough to be having a long weekend. I love being at the start of this slightly extended break, thinking of all the things I am going to do. I have been planning to sell a whole lot of stuff on e-bay for a year now and am determined to get around to doing something about it this weekend. I keep putting it off because I think it's hard, but I'm sure once I start I'll get into it. The longer I put off starting the more time I have to find things around the house that I don't want so my e-bay pile is growing every week! Any opportunity to de-clutter is a good thing.

I am also hoping to do a bit of cooking this weekend of course. In a happy coincidence, when I was choosing recipes to cook over the next fortnight, one I selected was for some garlic chicken that I am going to do on the BBQ (I can't wait to get the barbie fired up again) and another was for a pomegranate salsa, which the author recommends serving with barbecued chicken. How good is that!

This week's recipe is from a Belinda Jeffery book, Tried And Trued Recipes, through which I am currently making my way. I like this book because she has arranged the recipes according to her favourite ingredients, so there are chapters on cheese, chicken, tomatoes, bread, chocolate and others. And every one I have cooked so far has been delicious, in fact one of them that I cooked a couple of months ago has become the best dish I think I have ever made! It's a beautiful saffron and cinnamon chicken casserole. Fortunately I had the foresight when I made it to do the full quantity which gave me a number of meals over the next weeks. Anyway, the recipe I'm giving you here is a simple Spanish omelette, just the thing for a light lunch or supper when you don't want something too big.

Have a fabulous week! Love from Jane xx

Spanish Omelette

Serves 3-4

What you need:
  • 1 cup extra virgin olive oil (seems like a lot but it is used for flavouring the potatoes as well as cooking them and the excess oil is drained away)
  • 750g potatoes, peeled and sliced to about 5mm thick
  • 1 onion, thinly sliced
  • 6 eggs
  • Sea salt, to taste
  • Small handful of chopped flat leaf parsley

What you do:
  1. Heat the oil in a deep frypan over a medium heat.
  2. Add the potatoes to the pan and cook them gently (you will probably have to do in batches).
  3. Turn the potatoes regularly for 20 minutes or until they are cooked through (but not coloured or crisp). Don't worry if they break up a bit.
  4. Half way through cooking the potatoes add the onion.
  5. When the potatoes are cooked, gently move the mix to a sieve set over a mixing bowl and allow the oil to drain through. (You can save the oil to cook other savoury foods).
  6. Whisk the eggs lightly in a large bowl, then add the salt and parsley.
  7. Tip the drained potato and onion mix into the eggs and stir everything together.
  8. Wipe out the pan and reheat a couple of tablespoons of the leftover oil over a medium heat until it is hot.
  9. Pour in the omelette mixture, reduce the heat to low and spread out the potatoes evenly.
  10. Stir with a fork for the first 30 seconds, then leave it to cook, shaking the pan occasionally to prevent the mixture sticking.
  11. Cook the omelette gently until it's set and golden underneath.
  12. Very carefully, flip the omelette onto a flat plate so it's cooked side up, then slide it back into the pan to cook the other side.
  13. Continue to cook until the omelette is pale gold underneath and firm but still moist. It will take up to five minutes.
  14. When the omelette is cooked, slide it onto a serving plate and allow to cool a little.