Saturday, August 8, 2009

Orange semolina cake

Hello everyone, I missed posting a recipe last week as I was in Melbourne for the weekend. I travelled there with my sisters and we spent most of the time packing up the house of my aunt, who is sadly nearing the end of her life. As you can imagine, despite the circumstances, it was interesting going through all her things, as we found lots of familiar items but also things that were a surprise. Perhaps best for me was going through my aunt's collection of cook books. I have souvenired a number of them, so my collection continues to grow!

While we were there I had the opportunity to visit the famous Richmond Hill Larder and Cafe, a place I have been yearning to visit for years. I couldn't believe it, it's a cafe (albeit a very good one) and I had to put my name down at the door and wait for twenty minutes for a table to become vacant! My sisters were smart enough to use the time shopping elsewhere, but I hovered, fearful that a table would come up and go again just as quickly if we weren't there to snap it up immediately. Finally we were seated and with great anticipation I commented to the waiter that I thought I'd try the freshly baked scones that were advertised on their chalkboard at the door. Too late - they only make one batch and they all went while I was hovering for my table!

By this time I was quite cross and thinking I didn't like this place at all, however my humour was restored with a quite good hot chocolate and a very delicious chocolate pudding. I even bought some of their goods to bring home with me.

This week's recipe is for a very moist and tasty cake that takes little time to throw together. The syrup seems like a huge quantity to pour over one cake, but do it slowly and gradually and the cake will take it. I think I may have cut out this recipe from The Sydney Magazine, from one of those "What I Cook When..." columns. I wonder whose it was originally?

Have a lovely week. Love from Jane xx

Orange semolina cake

What you need:
  • 200g butter
  • 300g caster sugar
  • Finely grated zest of 3 oranges (I zested then chopped in the bamix)
  • 6 eggs
  • 260g fine semolina
  • 150g almond meal
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder

Syrup

  • 200g caster sugar
  • 500ml orange juice

What you do:

  1. Beat the butter, sugar and orange zest until light and fluffy.
  2. Beat in all of the eggs.
  3. Add the sifted semolina, almond meal and baking powder and mix well.
  4. Pour into a 20cm cake tin lined with baking paper.
  5. Bake at 180C for 40 to 50 minutes or maybe longer, depending on your oven. Remember that it is a very moist cake but when you insert a toothpick it should be cooked all the way through.
  6. While the cake is baking, combine the sugar and orange juice in a saucepan and simmer for 3 minutes.
  7. Cool the syrup and pour over the warm cake.
  8. Serve with cream, strawberries and raspberries.