Saturday, November 14, 2009

Parmesan ricotta on toast

Hello everyone, it's definitely party season and getting busier and busier every day. Usually around Christmas time I start to feel a little overwhelmed by all the alcohol and party food but for some reason it seems to have started earlier this year and I already feel I've had way too much wine to drink and desserts to eat. I met some friends for a quick sandwich yesterday and found I was enjoying the iceberg lettuce the most!

So I'm just going to have to squeeze in some simple meals with lots of vegetables whenever I can. Thankfully I made a bucketful of a very vegie-rich pasta sauce from last month's delicious magazine so I can always dig a container of that out of the freezer when it all gets too much.

I thought I'd give you this recipe this week because I had an email a few days ago from a reader who declares that she is not a cook but did the baked ricotta I posted earlier for guests and it was a hit! I adore good, fresh ricotta and love this very simple little dish, which is a Brigitte Hafner recipe I found in Good Living four years ago.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx

Parmesan ricotta on toast

Serves four

What you need:
  • 500g really fresh ricotta
  • 1/3 cup grated Parmesan
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • 4 slices of sourdough bread
  • 1 bunch of rocket
  • 2 lovely ripe tomatoes, sliced

What you do:
  1. In a bowl, mix together the ricotta, Parmesan and oil.
  2. Season to taste.
  3. Toast the bread.
  4. Drizzle with a little oil and spread a thick layer of the ricotta mix.
  5. Top with rocket and tomato.
  6. Season with a little salt and pepper and drizzle with a little more oil.