Saturday, May 29, 2010

Maple glazed roast potato and apple

Hello everyone, I've had a lovely week off work these last few days and seem to have spent a lot of time in the car driving all over Sydney running endless errands that have been piling up. One advantage is that on several occasions my trips took me close to specialty food shops that I have wanted to try but which aren't normally on my way anywhere. I was particularly fortunate to strike two specialty chocolate shops on one day. One was Adriano Zumbo's chocolate shop in Balmain, at which I had heard there was very good hot chocolate to be had. So I stopped there to sample it and it was really quite good. Not as good as Koko Black in Melbourne, but good enough to make me think about going back to try the various flavours of hot chocolate on offer. Then later that day I noticed a shop called "Christophe...Ses Chocolats", a chocolate maker, which is in a suburb called Russell Lea. On my way back I stopped in and bought a handful of chocolates and they were delicious! So nice and fresh and there were so many beautiful sounding flavours it was hard to choose! I think it will be a good thing to go back to work and remove myself from all these temptations.

This week's recipe is a great winter time dish and just luscious. The original recipe uses kumara, but being the potato lover that I am I substitute potato. You can use either or even both. It's from the Autumn/Winter edition of SOS and a very good dish to have in your cold weather repertoire.

Have a wonderful week. Love from Jane xxx

Maple glazed roast potato and apple

Serves six

What you need:
  • 1.5kg potato and/or kumara, peeled and cut in chunks
  • 2 large Granny Smith apples, cored and quartered
  • 100g unsalted butter
  • 180ml orange juice
  • 125ml maple syrup
  • 1 teaspoon ground cloves
  • Sea salt and cracked pepper

What you do:

  1. Preheat the oven to 175C.
  2. Place the potato and/or kumara and apple into an earthenware dish which will hold them snugly.
  3. In a small saucepan over a medium heat, make a syrup with the butter, orange juice, maple syrup, ground cloves, salt and pepper.
  4. Pour the syrup over the potato/kumara and apple.
  5. Cover the dish with foil and roast in the centre of the oven for an hour, basting every 15 minutes.
  6. Remove the foil and continue to cook for about a further 30 minutes, or until caramelised, basting as necessary.