Saturday, January 10, 2009

Kirsch marinated berries

Hello everyone, I am very excited because I am going to see Peter Pan with my nieces today. We are going out to somewhere called Newington Armory, at Homebush Bay. I decided to pack a picnic lunch and went to my local shopping centre to buy the bits and pieces. Not the best choice as the one bakery there has rubbish bread, but with not a lot of time to spare I thought it would do. I couldn't believe it when I walked into Woollies on my last stop at the shops and found that they are now stocking my favourite bread in the world, Brasserie Bread. I contemplated chucking out the rubbish rolls I had bought and picking up a loaf of Brasserie sourdough, but decided that rolls were easier for a picnic as I think there are rules about carrying knives in public places. Well, I'll know next time where to head for my fresh bread.

This week's recipe is absolutely gorgeous for entertaining on a hot day and hopefully we will see a few more such days (doesn't feel like it today). It's also really pretty. It's another recipe from my Summer SOS book which is full of great ideas for fresh produce.

Have a wonderful week. Love from Jane xx

Kirsh marinated berries

Serves 6

What you need:
  • 600g mixed berries (as many varieties as you can find)
  • 75g caster sugar
  • 100ml kirsch

What you do:
  1. Hull the berries if necessary and slice the strawberries lengthways.
  2. Put the berries in a bowl and sprinkle with the sugar and kirsch and toss gently until lightly coated.
  3. Leave the berries to marinate for 2-3 hours, stirring from time to time to dissolve the sugar.
  4. Divide the berries and juices among six serving glasses or bowls.
  5. Top each with a scoop of icecream and serve immediately.