Sunday, January 18, 2009

Prawn cocktail

Hello everyone, isn't it great that we are finally getting some good hot summer days? I went down to the beach one night during the week for a walk around 8.00 pm and the place was packed - I had to wait ten minutes for a park! This kind of weather puts me in mind of prawn cocktails. When I was little we used to have family holidays with friends at their house at Lake Macquarie, and Patsy, the hostess, initiated me into the delights of the prawn cocktail. We would buy fresh prawns at the co-op during the afternoon, then go back to the house and peel a big mountain of them. I returned to this dish during the week as it's such a quick and easy one for mid week dinners. I experimented with the quantities for the sauce and think I have it just right, but of course, you should adjust the quantities to your taste.

Have a fabulous week, love from Jane xx

Prawn cocktail
Quantity for one - multiply as needed

What you need:
  • Whatever type of lettuce leaves you like, watercress would be nice
  • 10 king prawns, peeled
  • 2 teaspoons mayonnaise
  • 1 teaspoon tomato sauce
  • 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • Lemon or lime quarter
What you do:
  1. Shred the lettuce and arrange in your serving bowl/glass.
  2. Arrange the prawns on the lettuce.
  3. Mix together the remaining ingredients and drizzle over the prawns.
  4. Serve with a wedge of lemon or lime.