Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mozzarella and olive crostini

Hello everyone, my sister just dropped by with some of her beautiful home made pesto, made with her home grown basil, and some of her home grown tomatoes. I can't wait to try the tomatoes, I'm sure they will be luscious. And as I have mentioned before, I am always so grateful to have a store of her pesto in the freezer for the nights when I get home late and want to whip up something quickly. I have some goats cheese in the fridge so I can see a lovely Italian dish coming together with these three elements.

In a similar vein is this really simple idea for crostini. I have made this for myself for dinner but it would be great to serve to guests and can be thrown together very quickly. I buy this really nice olive paste at Arena's Deli in Mosman. I think they make and package it up themselves and I haven't seen or tasted another olive paste elsewhere that is so good. You can get it in either black or green variety. The recipe is yet another from my SOS Summer book.

Have a lovely week! Jane xx

Mozzarella and olive crostini

Quarter 3 roma tomatoes, drizzle with really good extra virgin olive oil, season and grill under a low heat until softened (or roast in the oven). Spread black olive paste on 12 toasted slices of sourdough, add a tomato quarter to each and gently press on top of each crostini 2 slices of a good fresh mozzarella (buffalo if you can get it). Briefly grill to allow the cheese to melt and decorate each crostini with a sprig of flat leaf parsley before serving.