Saturday, January 24, 2009

Roasted vegetable, rocket and feta salad

Hello everyone, I know that cooking is probably the last thing on many people's minds, but when it's so hot that you don't want to do anything at least it's comforting to have a nice home cooked meal, especially if it's one you have prepared earlier. Then all the work is done and you can sit and relax!

Mind you, I had dinner during the week at one of my all time favourite places, the Three Weeds at Rozelle. They have a great bar menu and I have never been disappointed. When I was there this week I chose the lamb with yoghurt sauce and couscous. Very much the sort of thing that I would cook for myself anyway, but I really felt like some lamb so went with it. It was beautiful! It actually tasted homecooked. So sometimes it does pay to go out and let someone cook for you.

I was planning to try out a fabulous Nigella chocolate sauce recipe on some dinner guests last night but they thwarted my plans by turning up with a cake! So that recipe is yet to be tested. It sounds so yummy and fattening that I don't dare make it when I don't have guests coming as I know I'll end up eating it all which would be disastrous!

Anyway, here is a fabulous salad that gives you lots of vegetables and is delicious.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xxx

Roasted vegetable, rocket and feta salad

Serves four

What you need:
  • 1 capsicum, quartered
  • 2 red onions, cut into thick wedges
  • 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 6 Roma tomatoes, halved
  • 100g black olives (although I love green olives so you could use those if you prefer)
  • Wild rocket leaves
  • 125g feta, sliced
  • Some extra virgin olive oil for serving

What you do:
  1. Preheat oven to 220C.
  2. Combine capsicum, onions and garlic in a large roasting pan.
  3. Season the vegetables with salt and pepper and gently toss to coat in the olive oil.
  4. Roast the vegetables for 15 minutes and then remove any that are nice and crispy. Do keep any eye on the garlic as you don't want it to burn.
  5. At this point add the tomatoes and olives to the pan and return the vegetables to the oven and continue to cook for another 15 minutes.
  6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool until still just warm.
  7. To serve, arrange the vegetables on a serving dish. Top with the rocket leaves and feta. Drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil and serve. The garlic should be all nice and gooey, so when you are eating the salad you can sort of squish it into the other vegetables and feta.