Saturday, July 10, 2010

Jamie's burger

Hello everyone, this week's recipe is quite easily the best tasting burger I have ever encountered. That's a big call as I have made a lot of burgers in my time but there was just something about it that made it extraordinary. It comes from Jamie's America, a book I am absolutely loving (having never bought, read or used any of Jamie's other books I'm now thinking that might have to be the next serious addition to my cook book library).

Now I'm not going to give you the whole recipe from the book - it's well worth doing but really, once you have the basic burger you can put together your burger with any bread, salad and sauce you like. I'm sure you will love this mix.

Have a great week. Love from Jane xxx

Jamie's burger

Serves six (I found the quantity very generous)

What you need:
  • Olive oil
  • 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
  • 4 slices of bread, crusts removed and blitzed in the food processor (if you already have breadcrumbs in the freezer, just use them)
  • 500g good quality lean minced beef
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 heaped teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 large egg
  • A handful of freshly grated Parmesan cheese

What you do:
  1. Add a splash of olive oil to a frying pan on a low heat and add the onions.
  2. Fry, stirring now and again, for about ten minutes or until the onions are cooked, then put aside to cool.
  3. Mix the onion with the rest of the burger ingredients.
  4. Form the mix into patties, as small or as large as you like.
  5. (If you have time to spare) Put the burgers into the fridge for about an hour to allow them to firm up. I didn't and they stayed together beautifully.
  6. Preheat your oven to 200C, or fire up the BBQ.
  7. Cook the burgers to your liking - I did 20 minutes in the oven.
  8. Combine with your chosen bread, salad and sauce. Jamie gives a recipe for a spicy mayonnaise to go with these burgers which works really well but you could add whatever you like.