Sunday, July 4, 2010

Not-for-the-faint-hearted hot chocolate

Hello everyone, with the freezing cold weather this week I have been drinking more than my fair share of hot chocolate. I have found a source of quite good chilli hot chocolate close to my office, and there really is no better way to defrost early in the morning! I am also enjoying the luscious hot chocolate from Mitra's Chocolates in Mosman. They do a chilli hot chocolate that really packs a punch, and their milk chocolate is very good too.

This week's recipe shows you how to make incredible hot chocolate at home, just perfect for cold winter nights. It is a recipe I cut out from Good Living a few years ago, created by Matthew Evans, and I think it is in his new book, The Real Food Companion.

(Greg, this one is for you!)

Have a happy week! Love from Jane xxx

Not-for-the-faint-hearted hot chocolate

Could serve either one or two - up to you!

What you need:
  • 150ml milk
  • 100ml cream
  • 100g dark chocolate, broken into smallish bits (generally I prefer milk chocolate, but in this recipe dark is definitely preferable; milk is just too sweet)
  • 1 tablespoon really good quality cocoa powder, sifted
  • 1-2 tablespoons brandy, cognac or whisky

What you do:

  1. Heat the milk and cream carefully in a small pan until warm.
  2. Whisk in the chocolate and sifted cocoa.
  3. Bring to just near the boil, remove from the stove and whisk in the alcohol.
  4. Serve in front of a fire or the heater.