Saturday, July 24, 2010

Sicilian Potato Salad

Hello everyone, a chair that I had sent away to have re-upholstered has just been delivered back to me. The chair belonged to my great grandmother and was passed from her to my grandmother's sister, Aunty Sheelah. When Aunty Sheelah died some years ago the chair came to me. I've wanted to have it re-done for years, as it was in a rather old lady-ish pink, so I'm very excited to have it all done! I have gone for more of a neutral look, using a linen fabric in a colour that might be described as a slighter darker shade of oatmeal. The possibilities for cushions to dress it up are endless! I will look forward to sitting in my chair at some stage during the weekend and continuing to devour an anthology of short stories by one of my favourite authors in the world (who has sadly departed this world), Carol Shields.

Now as regular readers know, I love my potatoes, and am firmly of the view that you never can have too many potato salad recipes. This week's one is from my favourite food writer, Matthew Evans. I found the recipe years ago in his column in Good Weekend magazine. He says that the dish originates in Palermo. It's certainly delicious and best served warm or at room temperature.

Have a happy week. Love from Jane xx

Sicilian potato salad

Serves 4-6

What you need:
  • 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 kg potatoes, preferably waxy, washed and/or peeled and cut into cubes
  • 1 large Spanish onion, peeled and chopped
  • 60g capers, preferably salted, soaked for 15 minutes and rinsed
  • 150g green olives, rinsed well
  • 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
  • 3 tablespoons caster sugar
  • 1-2 teaspoons salt

What you do:
  1. Heat enough oil in a frypan to fry the potatoes until nearly cooked through.
  2. Add the onion and fry until it becomes translucent and the potatoes are fully cooked.
  3. Add the capers and the olives.
  4. Whisk the vinegar with the sugar and some salt and pour over the potatoes.
  5. Simmer for a few seconds, then turn off the heat and allow the vinegar to soak into the potatoes.
  6. Season to taste and serve in a pretty serving bowl.