Hands up everyone who is glad the election campaign is finally over? At long last we can return to our lives without being besieged by “vote for me” messages. Mind you, I spent a couple of hours today at a polling booth helping out a friend who is running (I’m confident unsuccessfully) and do you think I saw any candidates? Not one.
Anyway, the more important things in life are cooking and I think you will really like this week’s recipe for chicken in a lemon honey sauce. I can personally attest to its popularity with children as I have trialled it on a real live child and it was very popular – even spoken about the next day with great relish. It might be a good one for the summer holidays, which aren’t too far away for those who have a break in January.
Have a great week.
Love from Jane xx
Chicken with lemon and honey
Serves four; children love it
What you need:
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 8 pieces of chicken (it’s great with wings; you might want to use 12)
· 1 red onion, sliced
· 12 whole garlic cloves, peeled
· 1 lemon, cut into chunks
· ¾ cup chicken stock
· ½ cup honey
· Small handful of fresh oregano leaves
What you do:
1. Heat a large, deep frypan over a high heat, add the oil and chicken and cook for 5 to 8 minutes (turning once) until golden. Remove and set aside.
2. Reduce heat to medium, add onion and cook for one minute. Add garlic and cook for a further minute.
3. Return chicken to the pan with the chopped up lemon (yes with the peel on), chicken stock and honey (I find this quantity of honey a wee bit too much so I use a little less).
4. Reduce heat to medium low, cover the pan and simmer for twenty minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
5. Lift out the chicken and place on a baking tray.
6. Increase the heat of the sauce to medium and simmer, uncovered, for 5 to 8 minutes until thickened.
7. Place the chicken pieces under a hot grill for 3 to 4 minutes until crisp.
8. Arrange the chicken pieces on a platter, pour over the sauce and sprinkle with chopped oregano.