Saturday, January 19, 2008

Chinese Vegetable Stir-fry

Hi everyone, for those of you in Sydney, didn’t the weather turn out beautiful today? I was hoping to take my niece to Sculpture By The Sea, and put it off as it was pouring when we woke up this morning, but then it turned into the most beautiful day you can imagine as the morning wore on. I’ll have to try to get there after work one evening.

Now last week I know I boldly proclaimed that vegetarians/vegans don’t have to settle for bread and salad when they are at a BBQ, and to prove myself I have a great recipe for stir fried Chinese vegetables. It comes from my Backyard Barbecue Cookbook – one of those books purchased from those people who drop off books in workplaces for people to look at and buy. It is invaluable and I use it all year round. I have done this BBQ version of a stir-fry several times and love it.

Have a great week and good luck with the Melbourne Cup!

Love from Jane xx

Chinese Vegetable Stir-fry

Serves 4 to 6

What you need:
· 1 red capsicum
· 425g can corn kernels
· 500g Chinese cabbage
· 2 tablespoons olive oil
· 250g fresh bean sprouts (entirely optional)
· 5 spring onions, cut into 3cm pieces
· 2 cloves garlic, crushed
· 2 teaspoons sesame oil
· 2 tablespoons teriyaki marinade
· ½ teaspoon sugar
· Sweet chilli sauce, to taste

What you do:
1. Prepare and heat the BBQ.
2. Cut the capsicum in half and remove the seeds and membrane. Slice into thin strips.
3. Cut the cabbage into thick slices, then crosswise into squares.
4. Brush the BBQ hotplate with one tablespoon of olive oil.
5. Stir fry the capsicum, corn, cabbage, sprouts, spring onions and garlic for four minutes, tossing and stirring to prevent burning and sticking.Pour over the combined remaining olive oil, sesame oil, teriyaki marinade and sugar and stir thoroughly to coat. Cook for one minute longer and serve immediately, drizzled with the sweet chilli sauce.