Saturday, January 19, 2008

Lamb cutlets with nectarines

Hello everyone,


I hope you have had a good weekend. I think there are still a lot of people on holidays, so they will be savouring this last week before they re-join those of us who have been back at work for a while. Thank goodness we have a long weekend next week! A perfect opportunity to try this week's recipe, which would work really well on the BBQ if you are a BBQ kind of person.


As some of you know, once a month I cook for a local community dinner, and in planning what I'd contribute this week, I remembered a really simple pasta dish that I cooked years ago - it used to be quite a regular when I wanted something quick and easy. However, that recipe is contained in a collection of magazines so old (the source magazine dates from Summer 2000 in fact) that they are piled on the floor of one of my wardrobes. I went hunting through them this morning and came across this week's recipe that I'm sharing with you. I have had thoughts of this dish at the edge of my mind all summer, so it was great to find it again. It is delicious.


It's a continual dilemma for me as to whether to keep cooking something new every time I cook, or to re-visit dishes I've cooked in the past. I actually toyed with the idea of making 2008 the year I would go back and cook dishes I have done before, but in the end decided to keep forging ahead and trying new things. Maybe 2009...


Have a fabulous week. Love from Jane

xxx

This recipe comes from a magazine that as far as I know, only ran for a few years and then disappeared, which is a shame, because I used it extensively. It was a Women’s Weekly magazine called Simply Lite and I treasure my copies of it.


Lamb cutlets with nectarines

Serves four

What you need:
· 4 ripe nectarines
· 2 tablespoons of orange juice
· 1 tablespoon of brown sugar
· 8 lean lamb cutlets
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 1 tablespoon chopped lemon thyme
· Freshly ground black pepper
· 2 tablespoons fruit chutney

What you do:
1. Pre-heat your BBQ or a griller to high.
2. Halve and stone the unpeeled nectarines.
3. Combine them in a bowl with the orange juice and brown sugar.
4. Brush the cutlets with oil and sprinkle them with lemon thyme and pepper.
5. Grill the nectarines carefully, cut side up, until golden brown (keep a close eye on them).
6. Grill the cutlets on a high heat for about two minutes on each side, or until done to your liking.Spread the cutlets with the chutney and serve with the grilled nectarines on top.